About the village
Worlabys' name is defined as 'Wulfric's farmstead or village'. Since 1086 when it was known as Uluricebi or Vluricebi in the Doomsday Book it has also been spelt as Wulfrikeby, Wolrickby and Werliby.
Worlaby is a small village located on the western edge of the Wolds near Brigg. The parish church of St Clement was rebuilt in the 1870s by W Scott Champion but its tower dates to the eleventh century. There are also two chapels; the Wesleyn dates from 1858 and the Primitive Methodist from before 1856.
Close to the church is an almshouse known as Worlaby Hospital. Built in 1663 by Lord Belasyse as, it is thought, a thanks offering for his life being spared during the Civil war when as a Royalist he was imprisoned in the Tower.
Legend has it that there was once a teetotal squire of Worlaby that would not allow an inn in the village. Farmworkers were not to be stopped though from the occasional tipple, and brewed their own beer. They stored it in a well and when they wanted a drink they just went down the well.
Information on this page taken from North Lincolnshire Council's Local History page. http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Leisure/libraries/localstudies/localhistorypacks/Worlaby.htm